Sunday, June 19, 2011

My first days at KWS


     I have now completed my first week and spent a few days at the KWS compound.  Here is a picture of the entrance to KWS.  It is really gorgeous and meticulously well kept!

     I must say though that it’s taken a bit of adjusting learning how to be on “Kenyan time” where everything moves at a much slower pace and I often find myself with a lack of things to do during the day.  That being said, I think I am starting to get into the swing of things and hope this week will bring more exciting adventures (keeping my fingers crossed I’ll get to go out in the field again!).  
     For my first few days at KWS I have primarily assisted in feeding animals at the orphanage.  The majority of these animals were found in the wild when they were very young, so they were too socialized with humans to be released (although the deep, bellowing roar of the grown lions at feeding time certainly make them seem pretty wild to me! haha).  Here is one of the lions chowing down on a nice chunk of beef.

     There are also a few baby animals who have recently been brought in like this adorable little cheetah!  Unfortunately the cheetah babies are still too wild to be handled (you would be surprised at how fierce such a little fuzzy creature can be!).

    My favorite though is this baby baboon who will eagerly grab at my hands (and try to suckle on my fingers) whenever I am near.  Needless to say, I’m a big fan of this little guy haha

No comments:

Post a Comment